A Financial Powerhouse
Member Powered ó Service Driven
Fort Peck Community Federal Credit Union is a member-owned, not-for-profit organization whose objective is to meet the financial needs of our members. We take pride in helping our members get the best value for their money.
Membership is open to anyone who lives, works, or worships in Valley County, Montana. More specifically, our field of membership is limited to those having the following common bond:
- Persons who live in Valley County;
- Persons who work, worship, attend school, perform volunteer services, or participate in associations headquartered in Valley County;
- Persons participating in programs to alleviate poverty or distress, which are located in Valley County;
- Incorporated and unincorporated organizations located in Valley County, or maintaining a facility in Valley County;
- Employees of the Corps of Engineers and Western Area Power Administration who have headquarters in Fort Peck;
- Spouses of persons who died while within the field of membership of this credit union;
- Employees of this credit union;
- Volunteers in the community;
- Members of the immediate family or household;
- Organizations of such persons.
History of Fort Peck Community Federal Credit Union
Fort Peck Community Federal Credit Union was started in 1952 by nine Fort Peck residents. At the first annual meeting in January 1953, the credit union had 45 members and $1,168 in assets. The credit union grew steadily and by its 25th anniversary in 1977, it had 545 members and $513,525 in assets. In 2002, the credit union celebrated its 50th anniversary; at that time, there were almost 800 members and nearly $6 million in assets.
The credit union has seen many changes over the years. In order to serve its members better, new account types and member services have been added, and the office has relocated twice. In 1958, the credit union moved its office to the Fort Peck Theater building. It moved again in 1981 to its present location in the Corps of Engineers administration building.
In 1982, IRA accounts and travelerís checks were offered, and in 1985, money orders were made available along with the ability for members to have copies of personal documents made on the office copy machine.
The credit union began offering share draft (checking) accounts in 1986, and in 1992, a fax machine was purchased and made available for members use. In 1998, the scholarship fund was established, offering one scholarship to a graduating high school senior and one to a post-high school student. In 2001, Medical Savings Accounts were offered along with the ability to redeem U.S. Savings Bonds. Debit/ATM cards became available to members in 2003.
Throughout its history, the credit union has been community-oriented. It has sponsored or hosted many community events and made donations to various organizations. The credit union makes every attempt to give its members the best financial services, and strives to offer the highest dividends and best loan rates available.